Even though many of us are still putting up Christmas decorations, shopping for gifts, and addressing cards to distant friends and relatives, some are already looking toward the New Year and making mental notes about resolutions and personal goals that they hope to accomplish. However, studies have shown that New Year’s resolutions are often a bit too lofty and are frequently abandoned within the first few months. So here are 5 super simple things you can do to get a head start on a great New Year, from your friends at the Lazy Acres senior living community in Belton, MO:
- Start every morning with a tall glass of water. This seems remarkably simple, but it has incredible health benefits! Water hydrates, invigorates, and helps your metabolism to get a start on the day. If you sleep a solid 6 to 8 hours, your body probably hasn’t had much to drink during that time, which means that it’s thirsty first thing in the morning. Have a glass of water before you have your morning coffee, and see how much of a difference it can make.
- Make a habit of saying “please” and “thank you” and meaning it. We all know that the world can be a difficult place, but there’s no reason to make it worse by letting our manners slip. Remember what your parents taught you. Saying “please” and “thank you” is about more than just good manners. It’s about showing gratitude and kindness, and when you do that and really mean it, you’ll start to see it spread.
- Avoid negative people. We all know that one person who always seems to bring us down. And we know that they’re probably not going to change anytime soon. So do yourself a favor and refuse to follow them down that rabbit hole. Some people balk at this advice because they don’t want to cut people out of their life, but we’re not saying “eliminate,” just avoid. Spend less time with people who bring you down and more time with friends, family, and neighbors who boost you up!
- What you should eliminate is one unhealthy food from your diet. We all have a weakness, whether it be soda pop, bacon, potato chips, or store-bought cookies. In fact, most of us probably have more than one weakness. With the holidays behind you, it’s time to cut just one unhealthy food or beverage out of your diet entirely. It may seem like a small step, but it can have big results if you stick to it.
- “Unplug” before bed. Studies have shown that turning off the TV and shutting down your cell phone or iPad one hour before you go to bed each night will help you sleep better. That means no checking text messages, reading online news, or browsing Facebook. Turn it all off and relax for an hour, and you’ll find that you wake up more refreshed and with a better attitude.
Part of having a great year is living someplace you love, and we think you’ll love the Lazy Acres senior living community in Belton, MO. If you’d like to learn more about our great community full of friendly, cheerful people, just give us a call at (816) 331-4886 or fill out our online contact form!