Summer has arrived and so has the heat in the greater Kansas City area! We’re seeing plenty of hot and humid days with local weather reporters warning of heat indexes over 100 degrees. It’s times like these that we tend to stick to the indoors and the air conditioning, but sometimes the routine can get a little dull this time of year, especially with the added risk of group indoor activities these days. If you’re looking for a little inspiration, here’s a list of six great indoor activity ideas to get you through August! Remember, cooler weather is just around the corner.
1. Commit to trying new recipes! Trying something new even just two or three times a week can really switch things up. Page through your cookbooks or pick up a new one. You can even search online for great hot-weather cooking ideas if the thought of turning on the oven is just too much to take. Sweet tooth? No-bake cookies are great for a treat when the mercury rises. Why not whip up some puffed rice cereal treats or no-bake oat and peanut butter cookies to take over to a friend’s house?
2. We’re big readers here at Lazy Acres. Want to join the conversation? We’ve written a few articles on great reads, so check those out to start! If you like to keep your hands busy crafting or cooking, you can also check to see if our great local libraries have audiobook versions. Audiobooks are a great way to keep up on your reading without all the eye strain.
3. Do you have a shoebox full of photographs you’ve been meaning to organize? There’s no better time than these hot days of summer. Crank the AC, put on a TV show you like or turn on some great music, and get to scrapbooking. At the end of the project, you’ll have a beautiful memento full of family memories that your grandkids and their kids will cherish for many years to come.
4. What are your holiday plans? Sure, it’s early, but why not beat the holiday rush by using these hot days to put together a list of gifts, addresses, cards, and everything else you’ll need in the whirlwind of the holiday season? There are worse ways to spend a hot afternoon than dreaming of sending warm hugs during the cold months!
5. Have you ever heard of Duolingo? It’s just one of many apps that will help you learn a new language. Did you learn a language in school? Why not go back to it and brush up on it? The world is getting smaller, so having better language skills can only help. You never know! So why not think about a language course this summer?
6. Did you know moss is a carbon sink (something that absorbs more carbon from the atmosphere than it releases)? If you like to think about your carbon footprint, an indoor moss garden is a great idea! Moss is beautiful and low maintenance, and growing moss in a terrarium can be a fun project. You can forage moss or order it online. Search online for indoor moss gardens for inspiration!
We love getting to know our residents at our great senior living community in Belton. How are you beating the heat? Share your ideas on our Facebook page!
Thinking of retirement in the greater Kansas City area? You’ll love the senior living community at Lazy Acres in Belton. To learn more, give us a call anytime during our regular business hours at (816) 331-4886 or fill out our online contact form anytime!