We all know that the holidays can get pretty hectic, what with all the decorations to hang, the food to prepare, the presents to buy, the parties to attend, and that’s not even mentioning travel. So it’s always nice when you can take a little time for yourself during the holidays, whether that means a night at home drinking eggnog and watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, or a trip out with your spouse, children, or grandchildren to make the season memorable.
Fortunately, the Kansas City area is a great place to be at Christmastime! Christmas in KC is an annual festival of lights and music, warmth and magic and fun, and there are great Christmas events going on all over the city that will bring out the holiday spirit in even the Grinchiest person! Here are just a few things that you and your loved ones can do to celebrate in and around Kansas City this year!
- See the lights at the Country Club Plaza! While they may have started with just a single strand of lights hung over a store entrance in 1925, the Plaza Lights have become a local tradition for 86 years, and one of the most spectacular holiday lighting displays in the country! The lights are turned on every year on Thanksgiving Day and remain on through the beginning of January.
- Check out the Mayor’s Christmas Tree! The 100-foot-tall Mayor’s Christmas Tree which stands in Crown Center Square is one of the tallest in the nation. While you’re there, you can also check out the Crown Center shops, or even do a bit of ice-skating!
- Enjoy Christmas in the Park at Longview Lake! Drive through more than 300,000 lights and over 175 animated holiday scenes at Longview Lake this holiday season! Admission is free, but the line of cars to get in can get pretty long, so make sure you bring along a thermos of hot cocoa and some gingersnaps while you wait.
- Take in a show! If you’re in need of a little Scrooge in your season, A Christmas Carol is playing through December 24th at the Spencer Theatre. If Charlie Brown is a bit more your holiday speed, you can see a live production of A Charlie Brown Christmas at The Coterie, with a live jazz trio playing the original musical arrangements by Vince Guaraldi.
- New Year’s Swingin’ Eve! No plans for New Year’s Eve? Don’t worry, you can get swinging with Dave Stephens Band at historic Union Station.
Whatever you have a hankering for this holiday season, you can find it within a short drive of the Lazy Acres adult community in Belton. Lazy Acres offers all the best parts of friendly neighborhood living, while still being just a few minutes from Kansas City. So if you’re ready to be a part of an adult living community in Belton that’s close enough to participate in all the seasonal events that make KC great, give us a call during regular business hours at (816) 331-4886 or contact us anytime via our online contact form!