The first official day of autumn is September 22, but if you’ve been shopping in and around the Kansas City area, you’ve probably already seen the signs that fall is on its way. Halloween decorations and candy are already lining the store aisles, so it’s time to start thinking autumnal thoughts. That means more than raking leaves and picking up that first pumpkin spice latte of the season, though. Here are a few things you can do to get yourself, your spouse, and your home ready for fall:
- Head off the chill. While winter may not officially start until December 21, when the temperatures drop in Belton, MO, they can drop fast. We could be enjoying a sunny, 75-degree day one day only to be hit by a rainy 40 degrees the next! So even though the weather may be nice now, it’s time to bring all of those jackets, sweatshirts, hats, scarves, and boots to the front of the closet and get that comforter ready for the foot of the bed.
- Beat fall colds before they start. Colder weather also brings with it a higher likelihood of catching cold, but there are plenty of ways to ward off seasonal illnesses—or just be ready for them, whether that means getting an annual flu shot or just stocking up on cold medicine, hot tea, and chicken soup before you get sick.
- Get your heating system checked. Chances are your heating system has been sitting idle all summer, so it’s a good idea to get it checked out by a professional before you turn it on for the first time this fall. There are many fine heating and cooling companies around Belton, Missouri that offer multi-point seasonal inspections at a reasonable cost. While they’re out, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have them check the water heater, too…
- Replace batteries. As the weather cools off, we spend a lot more time indoors, and many of us do a lot more cooking and baking during the fall and winter months. So it’s a good idea to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Clean out the refrigerator. Speaking of cooking, autumn is also a great time to do a purge of your refrigerator—not to mention your cabinets—in order to make room for all those pumpkin pies, thawing turkeys, and cans of cranberry sauce.
- Get your holiday shopping done early. This one probably doesn’t need much explanation. As we said, the end of autumn is on December 22, and by that point it’s practically Christmas Eve already! Fortunately, there are plenty of shops in and around the Kansas City area where you can find something for everyone on your list!
- Finally, if you’re a fan of all those holiday treats that are available between Halloween and New Year’s Day, it’s probably a good time to make an appointment with your dentist for a cleaning. After all, you want to keep those pearly whites looking smart for all the holiday photos, especially during the Lazy Acres Annual Holiday Party, which is the first Thursday in December!
If you’re a fan of fall colors and good company—or if you just can’t wait for a white Christmas—there’s no better place to enjoy every season than at the Lazy Acres Kansas City senior living community in Belton, MO. If you’re not already a resident, give us a call any time during our regular business hours at (816) 331-4886 or fill out our online contact form!