We all remember when we were young and summer seemed to last forever. Now that we’re adults, we know that summer ends the third week of September. In fact, summer is only about 90 days long each year, so we’ve learned to make the most of summertime here at the Lazy Acres senior living community in Belton.
Here are a few items to add to your summer to-do list this year before the warm weather comes to an end. Some of these are perfect for the KC area while others are things that you can do anywhere. All of them will help you get the most out of your summer before it’s gone!
- Pull on your boots and go for a hike. There are plenty of trails around Kansas City!
- Freshen up the garden and landscaping with some new flowers from one of our local garden centers!
- Invite some friends over for a barbecue and cook some s’mores while you’re at it!
- Take a road trip to one of the area’s state fairs. The Kansas State Fair is September 6-15 while the Missouri State Fair is August 8-18.
- Put on your dancing shoes and attend an outdoor concert or a show at Starlight Theatre.
- Get out the picnic blanket and have lunch in the park with a friend.
- Go to the lake. Bring your fishing poles. There are plenty of lakes around Belton!
- Go see a drive-in movie. Believe it or not, you still can! There are actually two drive-ins around Kansas City: the Boulevard Drive-In in KCK and the Twin Drive-In in Independence, MO.
- Visit the Sea Life Aquarium at Crown Center.
- Attend a baseball game, any baseball game; it doesn’t have to be the Royals! You’ll find plenty of little league and neighborhood games going on all the time in the KC area.
- Go to the farmers market and check out some fresh summer produce. There are tons of farmers markets in the area; the River Market is the most famous.
- Play a few holes of mini golf!
- Learn a new skill. You always wanted to take up photography or learn to play the guitar. Now’s the perfect time!
- Go to the zoo. Kansas City has an incredible zoo. Why not take the grandkids?
- Visit the Kansas City Library. There’s no shortage of things to see and do in the library this summer, or you can just sit in the cool air and read a good book.
- Go on the hunt for snow cones. You’ll find lots of stands selling them, but can you find the best one in KC?
- Beat the heat by taking in a movie at one of our fine local theatres. For a unique experience, try the Alamo Drafthouse or the Screenland Armour.
- Sample a new flavor of ice cream. It’s never too late to find a new favorite, and there are plenty of great ice cream shops in Kansas City to try!
- Go to the pool. Your grandkids have been asking you to go all summer anyway.
- Discover a new restaurant. There are hundreds of restaurants in the metro area, which means there are bound to be some you haven’t tried yet.
Whatever you’re doing to make the most of your summer, there’s no better place to do it than the Lazy Acres senior living community in Belton, MO. If you want to be a part of our neighborhood, just give us a call at (816) 331-4886 or fill out our online contact form anytime!