There are times when the pace of life can seem pretty hectic, and it’s all too easy to let things like seasonal air conditioning and furnace maintenance fall by the wayside until it’s 100 degrees in the shade and the AC is on the fritz. And sometimes even the best-maintained air conditioner may break down under the onslaught of a Kansas City summer. Fortunately, there are some tips and tricks that can help you keep your cool when the AC goes out, even on the hottest summer days here in Belton, MO.
- Switch out your bedsheets for cool, breathable cotton linens. Want an added chill on a particularly hot night? Try sticking the sheets in the fridge or freezer for an hour or so before bedtime. Just be sure to put the sheets in a plastic bag to keep your them from feeling damp.
- Sitting in front of the fan is great on a hot summer day, but when you’re trying to get to sleep, try using multiple fans (or a fan and an open window) to create a cross-breeze that can help cool you off. You can also make a temporary DIY air conditioner by having a fan blow across a bucket of ice.
- Switch to a cooler room in the house. You may have heard about how big English manor houses sometimes had summer bedrooms and winter bedrooms. That’s because some rooms are naturally warmer or cooler than others. If your bedroom is too steamy, try moving to a cooler room. Couples can also try sleeping in separate beds if your normal sleeping arrangements are a bit too cozy for hot summer nights.
- Drink a tall, cool glass of ice water (infused with cucumber maybe!) or take a cold shower before you turn in for the night.
- Keep the lights and other electronics off when you’re not using them. Even a lightbulb or small electronic device generates a little bit of heat, so if you can keep them turned off it’ll help keep your house cool. Another good idea is to stick to cold summer salads and sandwiches that you can make without heating up the stove or oven.
These are all great measures for when your AC kicks the bucket, but probably the best way to stay cool all summer long in your favorite senior living community in Kansas City is to help ensure that your AC keeps humming along by contacting a local heating and air conditioning professional to give it a seasonal tune-up so that it stays in good working order. Fortunately, there are many fine heating and air-conditioning service companies in the Belton, MO area that will be more than happy to check your system for any problems and make sure it’s performing up to snuff. Don’t already have one? Ask a cool neighbor who they use!
However you keep cool this summer, there’s no better place to do it than the Lazy Acres senior living community in Belton, MO. To learn more, give us a call at (816) 331-4886 or fill out our online contact form!