Like many Kansas City residents, we here at Lazy Acres have a soft spot in our hearts for the month of October. What’s not to love? In a lot of ways, October represents the official end of summer and the onset of cooler, less humid weather. Those crisp mornings and nights feel so good after all the abundant sunshine and humidity we get in the Kansas City area! October is also the gateway to the holiday season, so what’s not to love? We kick off with Halloween, then it’s Thanksgiving, and we move into the season of all the various and wonderful winter holidays. But that’s all still months away. Right now, we have October, with all its fall color and wild winds and spooky evenings. The kids are thinking about their Halloween costumes, and we’re headed out to fall get-togethers in back yards warm with apple cider and chiminea fire.
If you’ve grown up in Kansas City, you probably know all about apple picking at our local orchards, and you’ve discovered the best pumpkin patches for your Halloween jack-o-lantern. If you’re still keeping your socializing largely outdoors, these are perfect fall activities. Heck, why not book a hayride or host a marshmallow roast leading up to Halloween? We’re full of great ideas, so if you’re not sure what to do to get into that spooky October mood, read on!
1. Oktoberfest. Check out the various celebrations around the Kansas City area!
2. Leaf peeping! Autumn color is perfect around Kansas City right now. It’s time for a walk in the park!
3. Pumpkin Spice Everything. Cereal, bagels, lattes…even tamales!
4. TV time. October is when many of our favorite—and soon-to-be-favorite—TV shows return from hiatus. You’ll find plenty of spooky viewing on streaming services, too, so get a warm blanket and a mug of cocoa and settle in!
5. Candy. It’s in the stores. It’s in your house. It’s in your face. And that’s acceptable until…well, until the end of the year, really!
6. Costumes. Is there anything cuter than seeing the grandkids in their Halloween costumes? Sure, sometimes you have to ask who those TV characters are, but they’re so adorable!
7. Spooky season! Those spiderwebs in the corners are now “decorations,” and it’s okay to play pranks on your grandkids.
8. MLB playoffs! October is for baseball.
9. Fall fashions! Boots, scarves, hats, sweaters! It’s all so cozy.
10. National Pizza Month. That’s reason enough to order a pie!
11. Fewer bugs! October is a great time to enjoy the great outdoors because it’s not miserably cold and there are fewer mosquitoes ruining the vibe.
12. Indigenous Peoples’ Day on the second Monday in October!
13. The Great Pumpkin Arrives! Of course, Halloween would end up on this list. How could it not? All that aforementioned candy, cute grandkids, and lovely weather all come together at Halloween while you walk around the neighborhood. Trick or treat!
What’s your favorite October activity? Tell us on our Facebook page. Trick or treat!
Lazy Acres is the best senior living community in Belton, MO for so many reasons. To learn more about our comfortable, friendly, and safe neighborhood, give us a call anytime during our regular business hours at (816) 331-4886 or fill out our online contact form!