With winter weather on the way here in Missouri, it’s a good time to start thinking about how to stay warm and cozy through the long, dark months ahead. Here at the Lazy Acres adult living community in Belton, we’re taking some inspiration from the folks in Denmark, who obviously know a thing or two about how to survive the cold. With up to 17 hours of darkness per day and average winter temperatures that hover around freezing, the Danish have made an art out of staying cozy even in the coldest winters.
It’s called hygge (pronounced “hoo-ga”), and while it is often translated simply as coziness, proponents of the term say that it means something much more than that. According to them, it’s a philosophy that emphasizes creating “an atmosphere of warmth in the home and making an effort to enjoy the good things in life with family and friends.” That sounds like something we could all use more of, whether it’s in the winter or all year round!
That’s why here at Lazy Acres we’ve assembled a few tips to help you bring a little hygge into your homes this winter!
- Learn how to mull wine. Drinking mulled wine in front of a roaring fireplace is about as hygge as you can get, and nothing ups the coziness factor more than mulling the wine yourself!
- Fill the house with those delightful battery-powered candles that look—and even flicker!—like the real thing, but without the danger of fires.
- Buy a big bag of wool socks and comfy sweaters, heavy blankets, or just a dressing robe that you can snuggle down into while watching TV.
- Pick up some cinnamon. Nothing fills the house with comforting aromas faster than baking with cinnamon, and you can also stir it into coffees and hot chocolates for an extra dose of winter cheer.
- Dust off the comfort food recipes and make some of your favorites. Baking and cooking in the wintertime not only fills the house with delicious smells, it also helps keep everything nice and warm!
- Invite good friends over for coffee, cake, tea, board games, or binge-watching the latest episodes of your favorite shows. Whatever you enjoy most, it’s even better when it’s shared, especially during the cold, dark evenings of winter.
Whatever you do to bring a little hygge into your life, we bet you can find some like-minded souls to share it with at the Lazy Acres adult living community in the Kansas City Area. We like to think of our community as a place of warmth and comfort for all who live here, and we do our best to spread that comfort out to everyone in the neighborhood, whether it’s through community events and social gatherings like the monthly pot-luck dinner at our private clubhouse, or simply seeing a lot of friendly faces whenever you do have to brave the cold and go out.
So if you’re ready to embrace warmth and coziness this winter, try starting it out with a visit to the Lazy Acres adult living community in Belton! Give us a call during our regular business hours at (816) 331-4886 to schedule a personal tour or fill out our online contact form anytime!